Saturday, July 30, 2016

Wednesday, June 25, 2008


Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Coffee Issues

While at the "She Speaks" conference, I sensed the Lord leading me to "fast" from coffee for awhile. I am a true coffee addict and really LOVE my coffee. I brushed off the "sense" and went to the next conference session, only to be reminded by the message that was being delivered. Micca Campbell was speaking, and was illustrating to the audience that when God asks us to trust Him and give up something, He has our best interest at heart, and will bless us in the end. What He asks us to give up may be something big or something small, but He wants our trust and obedience. I knew in my heart that God was again reminding me about the coffee and asking me to trust and obey. I whined to Him, asking, "Whhhhyyyyy?" The first thought that came into my head was "it's become an idol". Ouch!
The following morning I was back home and woke up thinking about the coffee situation. Was it really God telling me to give it up, or was it my subconscious hearing all the years of Mike harping at me that I shouldn't be so addicted and needed to give it up? I decided it probably wasn't God, and even if it was, tomorrow would be a better day to deal with a caffeine headache than today. So I made my coffee, poured my cup, took a few sips and sat down to read my Bible. I'm currently in the book of Romans, and when I opened it to my marker, guess what passage I was on - Chapter 12. And what does the first verse of Romans Chapter 12 have to say?
Rom 12:1 And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice-the kind he will accept. When you think of what he has done for you, is this too much to ask? (NLT)
So. . . I got up, poured out my cup of coffee, poured out the pot I'd just made and asked God to forgive me. I thought to myself, "Ask me something hard, and it's easy. Ask me something easy, and it's hard." I'm now on my second full day of not a sip of coffee. I'm really dragging and had a hard time today. It's not supposed to take long for coffee addiction to pass, from what I've heard. I hope not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment