Monday, September 19, 2016

Stubborn As a Goat
(Pippy pouting in the corner.)
     Some of my goats have been mad at me the past few days. Especially the "grand dam", Pippy. The vet came last Friday and tagged their ears. I knew it was going to hurt, and they wouldn't like it. I didn't want to do it, but it was necessary for the blood tests being done, and for my purposes of selling their milk. Well, she (Pippy) has been pouting ever since. She's usually the first one in the milking room and the first one to eat. Not since Friday.  She stays in one of the pens, by herself. She went out to the field by herself. The only way I was able to get her to come eat and get milked was to offer her crackers.  She came in and I milked her, but she wasn't happy about it. She wouldn't look at me, and wouldn't hang around to be petted afterwards like she normally would. I never knew goats could be so emotional. She usually will rub against my leg, but not since Friday. It's kinda funny though. She's depriving herself by pouting this way. Does she think not wanting to eat is hurting me? By not coming around to be petted, does she think she's punishing me? By not socializing with me, or the rest of the herd, does she think she's accomplishing anything? 
     Hmmm. I think I act the same way at times.  There have been times I've been mad at God, and have acted very much like my goat. I don't "eat" or feed on His word, because I'm pouting.  I may withdraw from Him and other Christians, because I just don't want to be around them. Or, being in ministry, maybe I can't stay away from church, so I go, but I'm not happy about it.  I just do it because it's what I'm supposed to do.  But my heart isn't in it. 
     I could probably replace all the "I" statements with "we", couldn't I?  Have you ever been mad at God?  Have you ever pouted because He didn't give you what you asked for? Or do what you wanted Him to do?  Or act the way you wanted Him to act?  Do we think we're hurting God by not reading His word?  By isolating ourselves, are we accomplishing anything?  By not coming to Him, are we punishing Him?  
     I don't think so.  The only way it might hurt God, is the same way Pippy is hurting me.  It makes me sad that she's been so upset with me, even though what has been done, has been ultimately for her own good.  God is probably sad when I act that way too. His intention is not to cause us harm, but only to give us a hope and a future. (Jer. 29:11) I hope I remember how Pippy has acted the next time I'm tempted to pout with God. 
Lord, help me not to be a stubborn old goat.


"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  Jer. 29:11  NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment