Thursday, August 25, 2016

Didn't I Tell You. . .? 

     Jesus responded, "Didn't I tell you that you would see God's glory if you believe?"  John 11:40  
     Jesus said this to Martha just before raising Lazarus from the dead. He reminded her of his promises. I'm reminded too.
     In my early years as a Christian, I had been going through a "dry spell." You know - those times when no matter how much you pray, it seems like your prayers are bouncing off the ceiling, and He's no where around. But since I was a relatively new Christian, I didn't know that was "normal" sometimes. I thought God had given up on me because I kept failing and falling in my walk with Him. I had been praying and praying and praying for what seemed like weeks, but could not sense His presence. I laid down to take a nap one Sunday afternoon and fell asleep praying, asking Him where He was and why had He left me? What did I do wrong that I had not confessed already?
     I didn't know I had fallen asleep, but I dreamed Jesus stepped into my view and sat down at the foot of my bed. Silly me! The only thing I said was, "You are here." Very calm and matter-of-fact like. Really??? That's all I could come up with??!! 
     You know what He said to me?  "Didn't I tell you I would be?" That was it.
     I looked away for a second and He was gone, but I never forgot that dream. 
     So when I read this passage today, it reminded me of my dream again.  Didn't I tell you. . .?  So many times over the years, as doubts and questions have come up, that dream has given me a reason to remember what I've learned by reading His words in scripture.

Didn't I tell you. . . I love you?  (John 15:9)
Didn't I tell you. . . I am your Savior and paid the penalty for your sins? (John 3:16-18) 
Didn't I tell you. . . I will never leave you? (Heb. 13:5)
Didn't I tell you. . . I am with you always? (Mt. 28:20)
Didn't I tell you. . . anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying? (John 11:25)
Didn't I tell you. . . no one can snatch you out of my hand? (John 10:29)
Didn't I tell you. . . I will come again? (John 14:3)
Didn't I tell you. . .? 
     The Bible is full of God's promises. Why do we forget so easily? Why can't we just take His word for it?
     Am I the only one who needs reminding?  What is it that He keeps telling you?  Feel free to comment below.

Lord, help me not to forget. Help me to remember the truth of Your word. . . always.

1 comment:

  1. Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and all these things will be added unto you

    ReplyDelete